Saturday, October 07, 2006

Enharmonic Interval

After one particularly amazing "Amazing" I posted that there are those moments in life that you never forget. Usually those moments are significant not for the moment, but for what the moment signifies. For example, prom night, your wedding night, your first time. Last night was significant not just because of what it signified, but because of the moment. It was beautiful. He continues to ruin me in ways I didn't know I could be ruined.

The evening itself was the textbook perfect first date. He looked wonderful in his suit. He looked at me with almost a shy smile when we got in the car. We were both nervous. I chattered nervously trying to break the silence and he laughed at me.

The symphony was beautiful. He opened all the doors for me as we were going in. It made me giggle every time he did. He offered me his arm as we were walking. He put his hand on top of mine and smiled at me. I kept waiting for my mom to call and tell me I needed to be home by 10. I felt like a teenager again.

As the lights dimmed and the music began he reached over and took my hand. He held my hand in public. It took a few minutes after that for the blood to stop rushing in my ears so I could hear the violins.

When intermission came we joined the mob of people heading for the exit doors. His hand on the small of my back let me know that he was behind me and he wouldn't lose me in the crowd. We talked about the music. We talked about the people in the crowd. We talked about the moon and the weather. And it was time to go back in.

Again, as the music started he held my hand. I lost myself in the crescendo of the strings. I found my heart racing to the staccato trills of the flutes. The waves of music carried me along down the path the composer had chosen to go. And I willingly went along for the ride. It was beautiful.

After the symphony we were to meet up with some of his friends at a benefit show at one of the local bars. He had told them he would be late because he had a date. When we got there we posed for pictures. We had a drink. I chatted with some of his friends who told me how nervous he had been. He was adorable.

We were hungry, so we decided to grab something to eat. By then it was midnight so our options were limited. We grabbed subs and took them back to his house. We sat indian style on his bed in our dress clothes and ate subs off of paper wrappers and drank soda out of paper cups. It was wonderful. We debated censorship by the military in the media. We giggled and laughed. He had taken off his coat and tie and undone a few buttons on his shirt. As he lounged on the bed sipping his coke, I looked at him and my toes shook. He was the most beautiful man I had ever seen.

After we ate we didn't talk much. We cuddled. We just layed in each other's arms and listened to the sounds of the world outside. There was no "Amazing", it was the first date afterall and I have SOME values. But it was amazing nonetheless. And that was the end of our first date. The only way our first date could have been better would have been knowing that there could have been a second.

I am thankful for the memory of last night. I am thankful for the memory of every moment we have spent together. His role in my life has changed me. And when he leaves a piece of me will go with him. Tomorrow he starts moving. Sorting through the things that will be stored until he can claim them again. Throwing away the things he can't keep. Giving away the things that are still useful. I wonder which pile has a place for me.

6 comments:

SBS said...

I think you will have your very own, very special pile....

Sean said...

i'm very glad you got this.

bslawg said...

Thanks Sean, me too.

Chris said...

This was a beautiful post, bslawg. It was raw and honest and vivid. The night sounded wonderful and "amazing." I think the lack of amazing made it all the better. And I agree with SBS, I am sure you have your very own pile.

Osquer said...

I'm so glad you had some beauty with a man who makes you feel special!

I doubt he will ever forget your first date either!

Trouble said...

I think that perhaps your friend is foreshadowing of what will be down the road. If anything, he gave you something precious: he reminded you what you want. And knowing what you want is the first step to getting it.