Monday, May 01, 2006

Oh To Be Young Again


I love video games. I am a geek. Sometimes I'm in the closet about my geekdome, and sometimes I just can't keep the door shut. This weekend the door popped open.

I was digging around in my garage and I found a box full of electrical equipment. Inside, much to my delight, I found my old Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 - COMPLETE WITH GAMES!!! I don't remember why they got packed up. Probably because the PS2 was shinier and newer. Possibly because the gameboy was more portable and I could take it on the bus. Potentially because the Gamecube had wireless controlers and better Zelda games. Who knows.

So I spent the whole weekend reclaiming my geekdom. I had a party with all my old friends - Zelda, Mario, Tony Hawk I and II. I remembered why I liked to play Pokemon. I remembered why Sonic was so much fun. I realized that the load time on N64 was much faster than it is on PS2. I generally had a gaming nerds holiday.

That said, last night I bundled up all the cords, and put the systems away again. I don't have time to play five systems. I don't have time to play 50 games. I don't have time to sit and direct the actions of a little character when I can't even figure out how to direct my own most of the time. Some day when I'm old and retired I'll play again. For now I have to be an adult and work. At least until next weekend.

1 comment:

bslawg said...

I'm a dork. You are forewarned.