Saturday, September 30, 2006

Flights of Fancy



A while ago I won Osquer's word of the day contest and she wrote me a refrigerator magnet haiku. I saved it in my pics because it made me smile. Thanks Osquer.

Today is my self proclaimed "self" day. I'm being selfish. I am laying around the house in my pj's. I am eating cold cereal out of the box. (I love capn' crunch.) I am alternating between reading and knitting. I am petting my dogs and sitting in the sun, and occasionally looking at my computer screen to see if anything is happening in the world. I'm so freeken content I don't know what to do with myself.

It's a bright sunshiny day. I may not be flying, but I am definitely exploring joy.

Which, for me at least, brings ponderings of the stormiest sky. In the grand scheme of things I recognize that the storms are required for balance. The storms are required for growth. The storms are a natural part of life, not to be weathered, but to be rejoiced because of what they bring. But what will the storms bring this time? Will they bring the destruction of a tornado? Will they bring the fresh smells and new growth of a spring shower? Or will they simply be the thunderstorm that passes with nothing but a lot of noise? I don't know yet. Time will tell.

A lot has happened in the past few months. I have lost my mentor. I have had to reshape the dreams of my future. I have had to develop new hopes and goals to achieve. I have learned I am capable of emotions despite my unwillingness to be capable. I have loved without the hope of the love being returned. I have faced the loss of my best friend. I have contemplated running away. I have looked into the eyes of my own mortality. Yet, on the other side of the storm I still have faith that there is sun. And for today, at least, I will explore joy.

3 comments:

Osquer said...

Oh, honey! Good for you! I hope you enjoy the day thoroughly! It's yours!

SBS said...

here's hoping there is a rainbow on the other side of the storm!

Chris said...

Beautiful sentiments. Nothing wrong with appreciating pain and change. The dark can be as picturesque as the light.

I took a self weekend, and I feel fabulous as well. It is necessary and rejuvenating.